Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Packaging with a conscience.

The Tides Hotel in South Beach, Miami made me feel considerably less guilty drinking bottled water with their biodegradable bottle. Not just recyclable, but a compliment to potato peels destined for your compostor. I was intrigued. So I read the back of the bottle. I will now recite the back label to you -- verbatim. In addition to supernatural hygienic detection powers I also possess a photographic memory. At the very least I can read a photo.

"The bottle you are drinking from is the world's first "truly" biodegradable bottle. It is made from PET, the FDA recognized food grade plastic that traditional plastic water and soft drink bottles are made from, and maintains all of the benefits of plastic bottles; shelf life, oxygen transfer rate, clarity, and the ability to be recycled.

"This bottle is different because the molecular chain has been altered by adding nutrients and other organic compound which makes the plastic "edible" to microscopic organisms found in anaerobic, aerobic and compostable environments."

Ingenious? Or merely an ingenious clinical trial? Hmmmmmm ... what if I wake up tomorrow and find that I am entirely obsessed with cleanliness. Oh, wait ... Hit.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on finding an "ENSO" bottle! This is the newest technology for biodegradable plastics. It is amazing and totally true!

    If you want to find out more about the product visit the ENSO Bottles website, it is chalk full of scientific data and information.

    ReplyDelete